Hi All, Interested to know peoples view on the scenario / project below and which way you would go. Currently in place:
- 6.5 Update 3 All Flash vSAN Stretched Cluster in place, 8 hosts (4 in each datacenter) and 1 witness appliance in a 3rd site.
- 1 x 6.5u3 Windows vCenter Server that is within the vSAN Cluster.
- Licences are vCenter and ESXi Standard.
- MGMT network on standard switches
- vMotion and vSAN on Distributed Switches
- Used vSAN capacity 24TB
Objective is to move to VCSA 6.7u3 or 7.0 and replace all 8 vSAN Hosts hardware with new servers. Options could be:
- Option 1 Setup new vSAN Cluster and new VCSA so this would be side by side setup. then look to move vms and their storage:
- Option 2 could be to do a one in one out way whereby the below would be done:
- In place upgrade and migration from windows vCenter to VCSA 6.7
- fit new hosts to rack, install ESXi 6.7.
- maintenance mode 1st existing 6.5u3 host, full data migration then remove from vSAN Cluster
- Set 1st new host with same hostname and IP as host above, add to vSAN Cluster
- then repeat the above for the 7 other hosts.
Any options i have missed?
Which approach have you taken / would you take?